Obviously, you’ve researched the new schools in the area before you bought the new property. Moving with kids has to be handled with care, as every parent knows. Your child’s school records are some of the most important documents you need to gather when you move. But how do you transfer school records from one district to another?

You can always bring photocopies with you when you register your child at their new school, but remember only official, sealed copies usually will be accepted for your kid’s permanent record.

Official transcripts include report cards and standardized test results—this information will help administrators at your child’s new school gauge their academic level.

However, grades and test scores aren’t always the best indicators of your child’s strengths and weaknesses—and they don’t always translate between school districts or schools in different states.

You may consider bringing other education-related information besides official school records. If your child was in a public school and you’re considering a private school in your new community, you’ll want to provide additional information.

Here are a few of the items beneficial to transfer school records for your children when you move:

  • Examples or copies of your child’s latest classroom work, especially in math, science and English
  • Letters from teachers or counselors discussing your child’s strengths, interests, or weaknesses
  • List of textbooks your child was reading before transferring, including author and publisher information
  • Include information on any of your child’s extracurricular activities, such as drama, athletics, ASB and clubs
  • Outline your child’s hobbies and activities outside of school
  • Make sure to bring medical records and evidence of immunization

Moving is never easy on children, so making sure you know how to transfer school records will make the transition much smoother for them as they acclimate to their new school, surroundings, classmates and teachers. The last thing any parent wants is the children to be miserable in a new home.